Fenugreek Potato Leek Soup
It is winter, and right now we're looking out our windows and seeing the first snowstorm of 2019, right on January first. It's the perfect time for a hot soup! We're sharing our special take on Potato Leek soup which can be infinitely enhanced using a bit of fenugreek, and optionally, if you have some, asafoetida.
Fenugreek Potato Leek Soup Ingredients
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes. (about 2 cups peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 large Leek
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2-3 tbsp butter (we used vegan Becel)
- 1/2 cube bouillon
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk (we used cashew milk)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup fenugreek leaves
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice, or juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
Fenugreek Potato Leek Soup Method
1. In medium pot, heat the butter or margarine over medium-high heat, slice the bottom of the leek off and continue to slice the bottom of the leek until you get to the green part. Thinly slice your garlic.
2. Add the ground cumin and fenugreek to the butter, just ahead of the leek bottom, and garlic. Let the fenugreek brown slightly. Now add the sliced bottom of the leek.
3. While monitoring the frying pan, slice the top of the leek down the middle, and wash the leaves free of dirt. Now slice lengthwise into thin strips, then dice the strips into small, green pieces. Leave aside.
4. Add the 3 cups water and the potato slices to the pot with the frying leeks and spices. You can add your asafoetida and celery seed at this point. Let boil for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
5. Add your milk, and immersion blend until smooth. If you're using dairy, you'll want to heat the milk in a separate bowl so it doesn't curdle when you add it. Bring it to a simmer, not a boil, before adding to the leeks.
6. Now add your fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi), your diced leek tops, reserving some for garnish. Also add your salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley flakes. Let simmer until leek tops are somewhat soft (about 5 minutes). Garnish and serve!