Masterindian's Succulent Chicken Tikka
Chicken marinated in yogurt, then roasted, then combined with an irresistible sauce made from tomato, butter, onions and a dynamic mixture of Indian spices makes for an extraordinarily pleasing culinary experience. Here is the Master Indian recipe:
- One Tikka Masala Spice Kit
- Chicken Breast: 500 grams (Vegetarians may substitute for Paneer cheese or firm tofu 400g)
- Green bell pepper: ½
- Onion: 2 medium
- Cooking oil: 2tbsp
- Tomatoes: 3 medium (or 350ml can)
- Ketchup: 4 tbsp.
- Whipping cream 35%: 2 tbsp
- Plain yogurt: 125g
- Lemon or Lime: ½ squeezed
Preparation of the Tikka
1. Cut the onion (1/2 medium) and green bell pepper (1/2 piece) into 1/2 inch chunks.
2. Cut chicken (500 grams) into bite-sized pieces and marinate with plain yogurt (125 grams), lemon juice (1/2 squeezed), SPICE PACK 1 (Ginger, Dry Garlic, Paprika powder, Garam Masala (Custom Blend), Fenugreek, Coriander, Turmeric, Salt), onion chunks and bell pepper chunks for 15 minutes to overnight. Follow the same steps with the vegetarian options.
3. Finaly dice onion (1.5 medium). In a blender, blend tomatoes (3 medium or 350ml canned) into a smooth sauce.
Cooking the Tikka
1. Preheat the oven to 400F and bake the marinated chicken for 25 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.
2. Heat oil (2 tbsp) in a pan on medium high heat and toast the contents of SPICE PACK 2 (Cumin seeds, Ginger, Dry Garlic) for 15 seconds.
3. Add the diced onions and fry until translucent.
4. Now add the blended tomato sauce, ketchup (4 tbsp), SPICE PACK 3 (Coriander, Paprika powder, Turmeric, Cumin) and mix well until the gravy starts to bubble.
5. Adjust the heat level to your liking by adding SPICE PACK 4 (Chili Powder). Tikka masala is best served mild or medium. Be careful, this spice is HOT!!!
6. Mix in SPICE PACK 5 (Garam Masala, Fenugreek leaves), cream (2 tbsp), and the baked chicken into gravy. Simmer for 2 to 5 minutes.
Serve with... Enjoy over Basmati rice or scoop with any Indian breads such as naan or paratha.
- SPICE PACK 1: Ginger, Dry Garlic, Paprika powder, Garam masala (Custom Blend), Fenugreek, Coriander, Turmeric, Salt,
- SPICE PACK 2: Cumin seeds, Ginger, Dry Garlic
- SPICE PACK 3: Coriander, Paprika powder, Turmeric, Cumin
- SPICE PACK 4: Chili Powder (Very Hot!!! for heat adjustment)
- SPICE PACK 5: Garam Masala (Custom blend), Fenugreek leaves