Patiala-Spiced Garlic Baguettes
Our Patiala spice kit is not just made for Chicken! This Patiala-spiced garlic baguette is an absolute delight, and a one-of-a-kind recipe that you won't find anywhere else on the internet. If you don't have baguette forms, don't worry, there's no reason you can't use a pan and form it into loaves.
You can pair this bread up with your favourite mild curry or simply eat it toasted with butter. The spice kit makes it a little easier than it normally would be. The methodology here differs slightly from the video recipe, and results in a slightly more pronounced garlic/onion flavour than the video recipe.
- 4.5 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 tbsp active dry yeast
- Patiala Spice Kit
- 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion
- 6-10 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 knob of ginger (about a 1" piece)
- 1-2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp cardamom (optional)
1. In 2 cups warm water, dissolve sugar, 2-3 tbsp flour, and add the active dry yeast.
2. Mince garlic, onion and ginger
3. In a pan, on high heat, add 2 tbsp oil, and add spice pack 1. Heat for 15-20 seconds, until spices are slightly brown and aromatic.
4. Add onions garlic, ginger, spice pack 2, and 3. Saute for 15-20 seconds.
5. Add spices/onion mix to the water with yeast.
6. Let yeast activate if it has not already.
7. Add remaining. flour and some salt. Mix well with wooden spoon or dough whisk. Dough should be quite doughy, and not terribly sticky.
8. Let rise for 2-3 hours
9. Flour all surfaces, hands, dough, and in greased, floured baguette pans, shape the dough into baguettes and place in pans.
10. Bake for 25 minutes at 375.