Aloo Methi Recipe
Aloo Methi (or fenugreek potatoes) is our favourite potato side-dish, and we have seen a few different recipes and methods, however by far our favourite preparation is to cook them up like hash browns, adding just the right extra ingredients for a hearty and simple yet gourmet side-dish that you will want to make again and again. Making authentic Indian food at home has never been so simple, and so delicious!
Aloo Methi Ingredients
2 cups potatoes, large dice (about 3/4")
3-4 cloves garlic, fine diced
1/2 small onion, fine diced
1 tsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp butter or vegan butter
3 tbsp fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
salt and pepper to taste
Aloo Methi Method
1. Boil your large-diced potatoes in water for 4 minutes. Drain, rinse and let dry.
2. While your potatoes are drying, heat a pan or skillet on high heat, and melt your 2-3 tbsp (we used 3.5 tbsp) of butter.
3. While butter is melting, fine dice your half onion and garlic cloves.
4. Once your butter is hot and sizzling, add your dry potatoes to the skillet or pan, tossing carefully or stirring to coat the potatoes.
5. Fry the potatoes at high heat, toss carefully or turn with a spatula every 1-2 minutes, allowing them to brown, and watching that they don't burn.
6. Add your diced garlic, onion, and methi or fenugreek leaves, fry for 30 seconds to one minute.
7. Sprinkle your one tsp lemon juice, and toss to coat in the pan. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with methi leaves or green onion.