North Indian Tempeh Curry Recipe
North Indian Tempeh Curry
2 onions, diced
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
2 one inch pieces of ginger, minced
3 tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tej patta (Indian bay leaves)
1.5 tbsp cumin seeds
4-5 whole cloves
1" cinnmon stick, or similar amount of cassia bark
2 cups non-dairy milk
North Indian Tempeh Curry Instructions
- Dice your tempeh into 1-2" strips about 1/4" thick. To these add half your garam masala, your lemon juice and roughly 2 tbsp diced onion, let marinate for at least 1/2 hour.
- In a pan, over medium-high heat, melt your butter, adding your hing, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, and cumin seeds. Let these become aromatic (about 15-30 seconds)
- Add your onions and reduce heat to medium. Fry for about 2 minutes until transparent.
- Add your marinaded tempeh pieces, garam masala and fry for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric, coriander, and tomatoes, along with the non-dairy milk.
- Add water until your gravy is the desired consistency, reduce to simmer, and cover to let flavours combine (about 15-25 minutes).
- Add salt and Indian red chili to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro or diced green onion. Serve with Naan, rice, or a potato side such as aloo methi.