Master Indian Easy Aloo Gobi Recipe
A delicious, savoury dish from northern India, bringing together a captivating combination of roasted potatoes and cauliflower with a heavenly semi-dry sauce. Aloo Gobi is one of the dishes we don't talk about enough. It's an easy dish that goes great as a side for any Indian entrée when you have over those extra special guests!
Aloo Gobi Grocery list:
1. Cauliflower: 1 regular size
2. Potatoes: 2 medium
3. Cooking oil: 4 tbsp
4.Onion: 1 large, or two medium
5. Tomato: 1 medium
6. Green chili: 4 whole (don't cut); alternative: 1/2 green bell pepper
7. (optional) Fresh cilantro for garnish
Aloo Gobi Preparation:
1. Cut cauliflower (1 regular) into bite-sized florets and cube the potatoes (2 medium) into 1/2 inch cubes
2. Roughly dice the onion (1 large or 2 medium) and tomato (1 medium)
3. Slice green bell pepper (1/2 piece) into strips if green chili is not available
Aloo Gobi Cooking:
4. Preheat the the oven to 350 F. Coat the potatoes and cauliflower with oil (2 tbsp). Bake the veggies for 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Start step 5 after 15 minutes.
5. Heat oil (2 tbsp) in a large pan over medium heat and toast the cumin seeds in SPICE PACK 1 (cumin seeds) for 15 seconds.
6. Now add the diced onions and fry for 2 minutes to soften.
7. Add the diced tomatoes, SPICE PACK 2 (ginger and garlic) and sauté for 3 minutes.
8. Next, add SPICE PACK 3 (turmeric, fenugreek, paprika, salt), baked veggies and green chilies (4 whole, uncut). Sauté for 2 to 5 mintues.
Add a splash of warm water if pan gets too dry to avoid burning your spices.
9. Adjust the Heat Level to your liking by adding SPICE PACK 4 (Chili Powder). Butter chicken is best served medium. Be careful, this spice is HOT!
10. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Serve With... any Indian bread such as naan, paratha or chapati. Aloo Gobi is a great side dish with a curry and rice.
- SPICE PACK 1: Cumin seeds
- SPICE PACK 2: Ginger, Garlic
- SPICE PACK 3: Turmeric, Fenugreek, Paprika, Salt
- SPICE PACK 4: Chili powder for heat adjustment