Master Indian Original 1950s Butter Chicken Recipe
When Master Indian Spice began selling spice kits, we started with an Indian classic: Butter Chicken. This creamy, irresistable restaurant entrée is one of the best-loved Indian dishes in the world. This is our package recipe.
Butter Chicken Grocery list:
1. Boneless chicken breast: 1 kg
2. Plain yogurt: 250 grams (1 cup)
3. Butter: 250 grams (1 cup)
4. Tomatoes: 6 to 8 (750 ml, or 3 cups blended)
5. Whipping cream 35% or regular coconut milk: 125 ml (1/2 cup)
6. One Master Indian Spice Original 1950s Butter Chicken spice pack.
Preparing the Butter Chicken:
1. Cut chicken breast (1kg) into bite-sized pieces and marinate with plain yogurt (1cup) and SPICE PACK 1 (Paprika Powder, Salt, Ginger, Dry Garlic) for 60 minutes to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
2. In a blender, puree tomatoes (6 to 8) into a smooth sauce (about 3 cups or 750ml). Whole unsalted canned tomatoes such as such as San Marzano are a great substitute.
Cooking the Butter Chicken:
3. Preheat the the oven to 400 F and bake the marinated chicken in a deep tray for 25 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked. You may line the pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
Note: A clear yellow liquid will come out of the yogurt. Discard this before adding the chicken to the gravy.
4. Heat a large pan on medium high heat and toast the cumin seeds in SPICE PACK 2 (Cumin Seeds) for 15 seconds.
5. Now melt the butter (1 cup or, for a low fat meal, 3 tbsp).
6. Next add the blended tomato sauce (750ml or 3 cups), SPICE PACK 3 (Paprika Powder, Salt, Fenugreek, Sugar) and mix well until the gravy starts to bubble.
7. Turn off the heat and add cream or regular coconut milk (125 ml or 1/2 cup).
8. Adjust the Heat Level to your liking by adding SPICE PACK 4 (Chili Powder). Butter chicken is best served mild or medium. Be careful, this spice is HOT!
9. Discard the yellow baking juices from the baked chicken and scoop out the pieces into the gravy. Mix well.
Serve With... plain basmati or jasmine rice with a side of oven heated naan bread.
- SPICE PACK 1: Paprika Powder, Salt, Ginger, Dry Garlic
- SPICE PACK 2: Cumin Seeds
- SPICE PACK 3: Paprika Powder, Salt, Fenugreek, Sugar
- SPICE PACK 4: Chili Powder (Very Hot!!! for adjusting heat level)